Clinical Pilates is a method of exercise that has been developed by Physiotherapists to assist with injury management and performance enhancement.
Our Clinical Pilates classes involve the use of specialised equipment including a Trapeze, Reformer and Combo Chair as well as mat based exercises. This equipment enables the participant to target specific core muscle groups more easily.
At Impact Physiotherapy we have people of all ages and levels of fitness, from beginners to the advanced who participate in our Clinical Pilates classes. Because our classes are individualised we take into account any pre-existing injuries, aches and pain and tailor the exercises to achieve the outcomes that match your goals.
Clinical Pilates focuses on:
- Developing strength and control of the ‘core’ muscle groups such as the deep abdominal, pelvic floor, hip and back muscles.
- Optimising flexibility throughout the body and;
- Creating better awareness of breathing and posture in a range of different positions.
Clinical Pilates is effective in enabling optimal movement in the body and enhancing overall health and fitness. The benefits of Clinical Pilates include:
- Improves core stability
- Improves muscle strength, endurance, flexibility and tone
- Optimises joint mobility
- Improves posture
- Corrects muscle imbalances
- Improves coordination and balance
- Relieves tension and stress
- Facilitates rehabilitation and prevention of injury
- Complements other methods of exercise.
Conditions often helped by Clinical Pilates include:
- Low back pain
- Neck pain,
- Shoulder, hip, knee and ankle problems
- Post surgery strengthening
- Pre and post pregnancy fitness
- Postural problems
- Poor balance
However Clinical Pilates isn’t just useful in rehabilitating problem areas, it can also be used effectively to improve optimal performance in areas such as:
- Improving running technique
- Increasing general fitness levels
- Improving specific sporting ability- tennis, golf, dancing etc
As well as our general Clinical Pilates classes we run specific classes for runners and high performance athletes as well as ante-natal pilates classes.
Clinical Pilates at Impact
Your Clinical Pilates sessions will commence with a one-on-one assessment with our Physiotherapist. This assessment will identify the Clinical Pilates program and exercises that will work best for you. During this consultation our Physiotherapist will introduce you to the five Pilates principles, the equipment and some exercises for you to commence at home.
Ongoing sessions are run semi-privately with a maximum of 3 people. All classes are conducted by one of our qualified physiotherapists with specialised training in Clinical Pilates. All exercises are closely supervised to ensure correct technique and safety. Exercises are progressed and changed according to your need.
Please call us for our Clinical Pilates timetable and for details of specialised Clinical Pilates classes.
Should you be interested in attending our Clinical Pilates classes please call us on 9446 3833 to arrange an initial assessment appointment.
Please Note: A rebate for Clinical Pilates Classes will normally be claimable from your private health fund.